Thursday, April 12, 2012

Comfortable in your skin (at any weight)

It doesn’t matter if you’re 100 pounds or 500 pounds if you don’t love yourself you will not be happy at any weight.  I know I will never be “skinny” and I didn’t make this lifestyle change over the past year to get to skinny (I’d have to lose a whole lot more weight to be skinny – and I don’t want to be, so there!).  I did it to be healthy.  So many people’s happiness is tied to some arbitrary number on a scale or an arbitrary number sewn to the inside of a garment.  We look in fashion magazines and on television are constantly bombarded with images of super thin people and some folks think that’s how they’re supposed to look.
I’m sure there are people that enjoy being thin just as there are people that enjoy being larger.  If your self-worth and happiness is directly related to your weight then baby, you need some help.  I know super thin people; I mean less than 100 pounds who are anything but healthy. They smoke cigarettes, eat all types of junk food and some of those people are even doing cocaine. So if that’s what it takes to be thin then I’ll keep these extra pounds.
You have to love yourself!  I look at myself in the mirror all the time and smile. I love me. I love my hair, my eyes, my lips, my hips, my fat rolls and everything else.  I just don’t get how people cannot love themselves.  We’re unique; no one is like anyone else. That uniqueness alone should be enough. But unfortunately it’s not.  I know so many people – large and small – with self abhorrence issues directly stemming from their weight.  It upsets me because I wonder if they dislike themselves that much because they’re a few pounds overweight do they hate me because I’m fat.  Trust and believe I’m not losing sleep over that though J
It all boils down to being happy in your own skin.  Happy at whatever weight you are!  I decided and needed to lose weight for health reasons and I’m still the same type of person I was 82 pounds heavier, nothing’s changed except my outlook on what I put in my body and how active I am.  At the end of the day I’m still Danielle.  So I implore you all to embrace the uniqueness of you and love yourself, all of yourself, every ounce, every pound and every hundred pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment