Sunday, February 14, 2010

Why Valentine's Day Sucks










So it's February 14th, again. Another Valentines Day, another reminder that I'm still single but unlike some people I'm not miserable. I'm single by choice not by force and I celebrate every February 14th but I celebrate it as Anti-Valentine's Day. I spend time a week or 2 ahead of the big day selecting images and crafting verse to make the perfect card.

It's not that I'm against the theme of Valentine's Day. I'm against the day itself. I'm all for loving people and letting them know it. But I'm about doing it and showing it everyday through words and actions not one day a year through cheap cards and candy.

Valentine's Day sucks because it's not about love it's about dollars and cents. It's commercialized romance, it's prepacked hearts instead of words from the heart. People are spending money on worthless baubles instead spending time creating priceless memories showing people how much they appreciate them. It's become more about Pre Fixe menus at overpriced restaurants than spending quality time with that special someone.

I know so many people - men and women - that cheat on their spouses/significant others. They lie to them, hide money from them and God knows what else. But on this one day of the year they head to Hallmark and pick up a card, swing on over to See's Candy to grab a box of chocolate and head to the flower shop to buy roses that are marked up 300% and will die in a week. These deeds and a few I loves you's and people think everything is grand forgetting that the rest of the time it's horrid!

Why not do something for the person you love on June 12th? Just because it's not a day society requires you to do anything. The important thing about relationships is what happens the other 364 days of the year not just on Valentine's Day.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments:

Post a Comment